Thursday, July 30, 2009

INFLUENCES OF RIZAL’S TEACHINGS

Whenever I heard the name Jose Rizal, I can’t help but be fascinated by this small and frail genius. As a child, I can already associate him with the help of the matchsticks in the house and the one-peso coin where the framework of his upper body is stuck into.

My father used to stroll me in the town plaza where his monument stands still there. I am already aware of his greatness since my father used to tell me anecdotes about Rizal. One day, I asked him, Tay, uman cge man magdaya si Rizal nan libro?” Amazed by this innocent question he replied, “Si Rizal gusto magpahinumdom sa ato na importante karajaw an kahibayo. It is through books that he learned many things. (Wow, murag English to, nose-bleed ata ko.) Anyway, I didn’t actually comprehend what my father mean during that time, but as my level of education goes higher, piece by piece I understood what he meant. But before my father could spit out the last sentence of his profound explanation to my innocent question, another query came into my mind, “Na, pero tay uman di man lagi nija ukbon ija libro?” This time my father smiled and insisted that we will go to the nearest snack house because he knew that my questions will go endlessly.

As I grow up, I have encountered Rizal in totally different ways. During high school years, reading his novels Noli me Tangere and El Filibusterismo seems to be a humdrum task and an additional burden. Little did I know that his teachings and ideals in these books will leave an imprint on my mind, both as a Filipino and as a student. Allow me to cite two teachings of Rizal which greatly inspires me.

"This people do not complain because it has no voice, it does not move because it is lethargic, and you say that it does not suffer because you haven't seen how its heart bleeds.” (Pilosopong Tasio speaking to Ibarra, Noli me Tangere, Chapter 25)

This was the reply of Pilosopong Tasio to Ibarra's "Oh, that's asking too much! Let us content ourselves with observing that our people do not complain or suffer as do the people of other countries, thanks to Religion and the benignity of the governing powers."

To a large extent, this description still applies to millions of us in our own homeland who do not have a voice. As a student, my voice seems unheard otherwise; it is too faint to be heard in the wilderness of shameless greed and corruption in government. Generally as a Filipino who is gentle and is used to suffering, I have the tendency of going through life with the attitude of "Puwede pa, puwede na". This strong line of Pilosopo Tasyo reminds me to remove my habit of procrastination despite our worsening social and eco-political conditions.

2010 election is fast approaching Gladly, I can already vote since I have already registered to the local COMELEC in our hometown. But this presents a great dilemma to me, whether to follow the traditional give-and-take “tili-tili” system of our dear TRAPOS (traditional politicians) or to vote according to who is dictated by my conscience. But one thing is for sure; my right of suffrage must be exercised so that my voice will be heard throughout the nation. This simple little voice in the “midst of wilderness” shouting that there is really a need for the change of our election system must be heard!

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Consider well what kind of religion they are teaching you. See whether it is the will of God or according to the teachings of Christ that the poor be succored and those who suffer alleviated. (A Letter to the Young Women of Malolos)

My parents who were both devout Catholic teach me the ways of Catholicism. Every Sunday, the whole family shall be attending the 6 AM mass in our hometown. Even before, I am already aware of the teachings of the Catholic Church since both of my parents were my first Catechists.

As a student of Catholic schools from Nursery all the way to the tertiary level (except Elementary years), I am used to the Catholic schools traditions which are non-observable in public schools (e.g., Wednesday and First Friday Mass, BEC and faith-sharing sessions, retreats, recollections and many others).

As a Filipino student, I am also aware of the scandals in the Church that our own dear priests are involved. Personally, I understand their situation since I perfectly know that they are still human, capable of sin and committing error. They are far from being perfect. However, I am scandalized by some priests whose lifestyle and livelihood is contrary to their teachings. Priests that are living in luxurious lives seem to be a common sight. They are living in luxury while their parishioners are living in misery! Where is now the VOW OF POVERTY?

In one of the seminars I attended last 2001 in Cagayan, it was facilitated by the different bishops and priests assigned here in Mindanao. During the last day of that seminar, it was ended by a concelebrated Closing Mass. What caught my sight there are the flashy and expensive cars owned by the no other than those bishops and priests who concelebrated the mass. Wow, the place looks like an awards night of the Oscars Academy! Upon looking at that fabulous sight, I remembered what St. Bernard told to the Bishops during the medieval era, “Your luxury devours our lives…your vanity steals our necessities!”

During the time of Rizal when he wrote the Letter to the Young Women of Malolos, the friars were as if they were starving when in fact their minds and souls are full of greed. They sell scapularies, rosaries, belts, and other things which are nothing but schemes for making money and a detriment to the soul; because even if all the rags on earth were converted into scapularies and all the trees in the forests into rosaries, and if the skins of all the beasts were made into belts, and if all the priests of the earth mumbled prayers over all this and sprinkled oceans of holy water over it, this would not purify a rogue or condone sin where there is no repentance. Thus, also, through cupidity and love of money, they will, for a price, revoke the numerous prohibitions, such as those against eating meat, marrying close relatives, etc. You can do almost anything if you but grease their palms. Why that? Can God be bribed and bought off, and blinded by money, nothing more nor less than a friar? The brigand who has obtained a bull of compromise can live calmly on the proceeds of his robbery, because he will be forgiven. God, then, will sit at a table where theft provides the viands? Has the Omnipotent become a pauper that He must assume the role of the excise man or gendarme? If that is the God whom the friar adores, then I turn my back upon that God...

This teaching of Rizal serves as my reminder that as a Filipino Catholic, I have the right to scrutinize every teachings of the Church whether they are in contrast or in line with the teachings of Christ. This is what a devout and true Catholic must do!

References:

http://www.geocities.com/grevling_46/noli.html

http://manybooks.net/scripts/send.php

http://pages.prodigy.net/manila_girl/rizal/malolos.htm

http://tunog-pinoy.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_archive.html

I hate plagiarism that is why I cited the references here.

No comments:

Post a Comment